Bay Shore man charged with shooting Northwell employee, ex-girlfriend

Bay Shore man charged with shooting Northwell employee, ex-girlfriend
Quay-Sean Renard Hines was charged with murdering his alleged ex-girlfriend, Amelia Laguerre on March 31. (Photo courtesy of the Nassau County Police Department)

A Bay Shore man was charged with murdering a Northwell Health employee by the Nassau County police last week.

Quay-Sean Renard Hines, 30, was arrested on Friday and charged with second-degree murder after he allegedly shot his ex-girlfriend Amelia Laguerre in the parking garage of 1999 Marcus Ave. in New Hyde Park. Officials said several team members attempted to treat Laguerre, a 33-year-old Queens resident, at the scene before she was transported to a nearby hospital.

Laguerre, who was allegedly shot nine times, was pronounced dead at the hospital, according to officials. Northwell representatives said the health care system “mourns the heartbreaking loss of our colleague and team member” and is providing counseling services for employees who seek them.

Officials said Hines pleaded not guilty to the second-degree murder charge on Saturday at First District Court in Hempstead, where he was ordered to be remanded without bail. Nassau County District Attorney Anne Donnelly said Hines went to the gym after allegedly shooting Laguerre.

Detective Capt. Stephen Fitzpatrick of the Nassau County Police Department said Hines stalked Laguerre after the two broke up last year following approximately two years of dating. Fitzpatrick said Hines allegedly engaged in a “heated argument” with Laguerre at her work before the shooting.

Officials said they were still searching for the handgun allegedly used by Hines in the shooting. Hines’ attorney, Scott Gross, described the charges against his client as “serious and significant.” 

Laguerre reportedly worked as an administrative assistant at Northwell Health. Emily Laguerre Bennett, Amelia Laguerre’s mother, previously told Newsday that she was the mother of a 6-year-old son, and Bennett said she is still “in disbelief” about what happened.

Efforts to reach the family for further comment were unavailing.

No posts to display


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here