Teen hospitalized after CO2 incident at Chabad of Great Neck

Teen hospitalized after CO2 incident at Chabad of Great Neck
One teenager was hospitalized after a carbon monoxide incident at the Chabad of Great Neck early Tuesday morning, according to fire officials. (Photo courtesy of Great Neck Vigilant)

A carbon monoxide emergency at the Chabad of Great Neck early Tuesday morning resulted in one girl being hospitalized, fire officials announced.

The incident occurred just before 5 a.m. when high carbon monoxide readings were reported at the building at 440 East Shore Road. Upon their arrival, officials from the Great Neck Alert Fire Company said in a post the girls attending a summer camp at the Chabad evacuated the building after the alarm went off. Officials said 12 girls were treated at the scene and one 17-year-old girl was taken to North Shore University Hospital for treatment.

Great Neck Vigilant Fire Company Chief Justin Sachmechi said none of the individuals were in critical condition, but he did not have any further updates on their statuses. The 12 girls who were not sent to nearby hospitals were reportedly released to parents and guardians. 

A fire marshal on the scene told News 12 that the building had two smoke detectors and a working carbon monoxide detector. Alert officials said the cause or origin of the alarm was not definitive, but multiple reports indicated that the incident resulted from a malfunction with the building’s heating system.

Sachmechi said he was in charge of the EMS operation while Alert Chief John Purcell was in charge of the scene. Aside from Vigilant and Alert, the Manhasset-Lakeville Fire Department, the Port Washington Fire Department and the Nassau County Emergency Ambulance Bureau. The Nassau County Fire Marshal and Kings Point Police Department operated on the scene as well, Sachmechi said, and the New Hyde Park Fire Department and EMS covered the Great Neck district during the incident.

Alert officials implored individuals to closely monitor their carbon monoxide and smoke detectors to ensure they are working properly in case of emergency.

We use this opportunity to remind you of the life-saving capabilities provided by carbon monoxide and smoke detectors, encourage you to ensure that you have enough detectors, that they are in working order and you check the batteries,” Alert officials said in the post.

No posts to display


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here