The Hendrickson-Ely-Brower House in the Roslyn Village Historic District has been put on the open market for $2.488 million.
Known as Locust Hill, the six-bedroom, seven-bathroom house on 110 Main St. was built in 1836. In late May, the four-acre estate went on the market.
The site has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1986. The federal government maintains the list of locations deemed notable and worthy of preservation.
“Similar in form and detail is the house at 110 Main Street, built-in 1836 and later expanded with additions at both gable’s ends,” states the NRHP application form. “There are no significant examples of Federal or Greek Revival style architecture remaining in the multiple resource area outside the historic district.”
In 1926, architect Bradley Delehanty restored the house. Delehanty, who specialized in large Long Island estates, kept many of its historic features.
“Many original features remain, including detailed moldings, wood floors and unique treasures,” according to OneKey MLS. “Additional highlights include seven wood-burning fireplaces, a potting shed, barn/garage, tennis court, screened Adirondack porch and a wine cellar.”
Locust Hill, according to the listing, has panoramic views of the Long Island Sound and Gerry Park.
Although the house was built in 1836, little is known about the property’s initial owner, John Hendrickson. This changed in 1852 when it passed into the hands of the Ely family.
“In 1846 Samuel Ely’s health started to deteriorate and, in 1852, ‘seeking repose and the quiet of country life’ he bought a house in Roslyn,” reads the Roslyn Landmark Society’s bio on the house. “Within a year his health had improved sufficiently for him to assume the pastorate of the recently built (1851) Roslyn Presbyterian Church (TG 1973-74,1990-91).”
The house remained in the Ely family until 1891. After being sold to an intermediary owner, Ernest Cuyler Brower and his wife, Marion Willetts Brower, bought the property in 1911.
Ernest died in 1925, and his widow married his brother, George Ellsworth Brower, the following year. The Brower family owned it until 1978. The Gerry family, the namesakes of Roslyn’s Gerry Pond Park, then bought it.
“In 1978 it was purchased by Peggy and Roger Gerry, who lived across the road and were anxious to protect it,” reads the bio. “They made necessary structural repairs to the mansion and donated two scenic easements to the Incorporated Village of Roslyn.”
The Gerry family sold the house in 1980. It remains a popular stop on Roslyn Landmark Society housing tours.
The house is in the Roslyn Union Free School District, and the annual taxes are $38,942.